Friday, October 19, 2012

Alternative Press Expo 2012

Ape 2012
I sold some stuff at APE this year with my friends Brendan & Teppei. We got a fully jammed table cause we also had zines from Marci and Evah. Brendan, Teppei and I  were all able to finish new zines and comics for it.

 It was the first time I had a table at APE in maybe 6 years. I've been slowly working my way up to it. I used to sell just mostly prints, and would have like one zine, so I didn't feel right having a table for a while. But over the past few years I've been keeping up titles and re-xeroxing when I can, so yeah.

Last year we did a few tables at the SF Zine Fest and the East Bay Zine Fest but APE is probably twice the size of both of those put together. APE is $325 to get a table, The Zine Fest, which we decided not to do this year cause we were doing APE, was $75, but I think it's $100 now, and The East Bay Zine Fest, which is really small, was $25 for a table, but now is $30, which is pretty darn cheap. It's also the most convenient cause it's less than a mile from my house. We of course divide all those registration fees by three, between me, Teppei and Brendan.


The best part of APE for me is actually meeting and trading with other artist and putting a face to a name from the internet. I'm really bad with faces/names, so I have to write notes down, to remember everyone. It takes like 3 or 4 times of seeing someone before I can recognize them on the street, which is pretty bad cause San Francisco is really small.

For the most part I didn't sell very many prints, which is alright, cause I didn't bring very many. Also everyone who came to our table and bought stuff from either me or Brendan knew who we were. And I met a bunch of folks who follow me on Tumblr or Instagram, which is kind of funny.

Uh, 2 days of this is pretty hard, so after a certain point there really no reason to be hanging around the table so yeah. You can drink at these things and bring your own beer, which we totally should have brought a cooler but yeah. Beers were $6, but mixed drinks were only $7 & the tip.

And that is it.  

No comments: