Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Frisket

Screen shot 2012-09-10 at 4.28.39 AM
I've been using frisket for a while so I can block off stuff while putting stars down on my paintings. Frisket is used to mask of areas in printmaking and airbrushing. I use the airbrush film you can get at any art store. There's another brand, which is way stickier and leaves a film on my paintings, so I avoid that one and go with the original frisket.

IMG_4011
I buy this in rolls. The original frisket comes gridded which helps out a lot.

IMG_4012
I leave a little extra out on the bottom.

IMG_4013
I then use an x-acto knife and cut out the excess.

IMG_4014

IMG_4015
This one's ready.

IMG_4016
I wait till I have a bunch to do all at once cause it's kind of messy.

IMG_4020
After I spray white paint.

IMG_4021

IMG_4022
Taking off the frisket.

IMG_4024
Piece is now finished.

IMG_4102
For larger pieces I use tracing paper.

2 comments:

Dindie said...

Hi Deth, is the x-acto knife not effecting any of your paints? or it must be really sharp so it wouldn't do any harm to the painting?

Deth P. Sun said...

Dindle,
Sorry for the delay in messaging you back.
The knife would if it was dull. If you get a sharp blade you can kind of feel when it's going through plastic. That and a touch up of black and coat of medium usually smooths things out.