I have a few more days until I have to go down to LA to install my solo show. I should have been posting more about what I'm up to but I've been kind of busy. So yeah, all you get is this (which actually is a lot).
Above is the largest painting I have for the show. It's the fifth incarnation of this image. The first was for a zine (5.5"x8.5"), the second and third was for a drawing for print respectively (9"x12"), and the third was an 18"x24" painting that sold in Northampton. Every time I finished a piece I felt like I could do it better. So yeah. I'm pretty certain this is the last incarnation of this image. It's 30x40, so it's 4 times bigger than the painting sold in Northampton. It also took 2 1/2 weeks to complete.
These are some more of the larger paintings I have. They're 16"x20", and I'm hoping to have at least 6 of these for the show. 4 are kind of complete, 2 have drawings on them, and right now I'm drawing on one, but I don't think I can finish it on time. I still have to apply frisket, put stars on some those, and also put medium down on all of them.
The medium just seals my painting so they get a little bit of protection. like if you get something on it, you can pretty much scratch it off. I use two different types of black. One is a liquid black that dries with a gloss (Golden Fluid Acrylics) and the other one dries matte (Lascaux Carbon black). I also use Golden's low viscosity Carbon Black, but that dries with a gloss if you add too much water. When I put a medium over everything it all just goes flat and then you can't tell the difference between the two blacks. The high viscosity is good for lines, the low viscosity is good for covering large areas (and it's cheaper to coat large areas black with it).
It takes about 4 hours to draw the plants, and about 3 hours to ink.
To break down the paintings I have for the show it's:
1 x 30x40
1 x 24x30
4 x 18x24
6 x 16x20
12 x 9x12
9 x 8x10
1. I've been using velcro to install my work since my first art show when I was 19 years old. But velcro is kind of hard to get off. A friend came over and showed me a trick she had just learned.
I never even thought it'd be that simple, but yeah, painter's tape. It totally works, and now I'm thinking of all the walls I have possibly fucked up from here to Bristol.
The only thing I worry about it this thing that says "14 day clean release". But yeah. Uh, whatever.
2. I made more beer cozies but I sent them the wrong image file. The text on the drum says "Yes" instead of "Rad". I don't even remember why I have the same drawing but with a text saying "Yes". Fuck. The only upgrade is that this thing is double-sided.
Yes, I re-draw things all the time. It's what I do. I didn't even trace this, which is totally stupid. I also used a hi-tec C for the "Yes" drawing, so the lines are thinner.
Honestly I think the only people who are into beer cozies are my friends, and yeah. I don't really sell things to friends so they haven't really made me that much money. I think I keep on making them cause my friends are really into them. But I think it just comes up cause I see them at BBQs, or at parties and they'll bust one out and it's something to talk about and then I come home and think, "Yeah, more people want beer cozies". I was also going to come up with a new design, one was just going to be a cat that said "Fuck", and the other was a cat with a beer flag. But then I never got around to doing that. Uh. I should have made it with a different color but yeah, I was seriously just trying to restock them cause I only have 10 left of the Rad ones.
Oh, I don't know if I should be telling this to people, but this image is also going to be used for a t-shirt by a company that begins with F and ends with 21. I think they come out in October.
3. People have been sending me images of this. Pretty sweet. This particular image is from Giant Robot.
4. Words With Friends. New word I like to use: "SH". You can use that then add an H for "SHH". Oh, and Words with Friends doesn't let you use the word "fucked".
5. TV. I've been watching a lot of stuff while painting. Favorites from the past week: Heavy (a show about people losing weight), Mall Cops (a show about cops in the Mall of America), Ishi, The Last Yahi (a documentary on the last member of a northern California tribe), and Double Dare ( a documentary on female stunt doubles in Hollywood).
6. In two weekends (September 3-4), I'll be working a booth at the SF Zinefest with my friends, Brendan, and Teppei, and we're probably selling some of Evah's and Marci's stuff, too. It's in Golden Gate Park near the south entrance. I had planned to finish a new zine for it, but I'm only halfway through. If we do alright, I might be able to con everyone to do APE. The last time I did it with was also with Brendan and Evah, and that was in 2006. So yeah. 5 years ago.
APE is way huger. But the SF Zinefest has been around for a while and the space they use kind of looks like the cafeteria of a junior high school, but it's in Golden Gate Park and it's actually pretty sweet.