Monday, April 11, 2011

LA Riots

LA Riot Painting by Marci and Deth
LA Riot Painting, a photo by Marci and Deth on Flickr.

I've been meaning to make a proper update, but I think putting off everything equals me not updating at all, so I think I'm going to stop doing that.

Here's a crappy photo of a painting I just finished right now. I was going to make a riot painting for Oakland, but there's only been 4 in the history of Oakland. Then I was going to do one of New York but didn't know if should count Brooklyn. I'm more familiar with LA Riots anyway.

True Story, In 1992 I was 13, and the Rodney King Riot happened in LA. I lived in San Diego and for some strange reason we had a riot in my Junior High. It lasted for 3 days.

1871 - Anti-Chinese Riots
1943 - Zoot Suits Riots
1965 - Watts
1966 - Sunset Strips Curfew
1992 - Rodney King
2000, 2009, 2010 - Lakers' Championship Riots.

Yeah, the last three were pretty dumb reasons to riot.

1 comment:

Junkyard Sam said...

Cool piece!! Particularly good drawing of the TV-holding, and the CRT captures the era well. It just wouldn't be as cool with a flat screen. =)

I hope there are no riots while I'm here. Some of those weasels around the bus station are about ready to riot when you refuse their demands for coins.