Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year in Review

img015

Favorite Music
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (2010)
Wolf Parade - “Expo 86”
Beach House - “Teen Dream”
Boise Cover Band - “Unoriginal Artists”
Magnetic Fields - “Realism”

I didn't have much for new music. A little cause I didn't like stuff, but mostly cause I never bother looking for new things these days, except for random songs from video games and soundtracks, or songs from mid-90s indie rock bands covering other mid-90s indie rock bands.

Boise Cover Band is Doug Martsch's Cover Band. He does Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie on it. Manny sent me it in an e-mail so I bought the album for $3 on Amazon. I gave it to Rob, cause CDs take up a lot of space.



Favorite Movies

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
True Grit
Youth in Revolt
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I)
Hot Tub Time Machine

Uh, I was going for 5 on these lists, so I left off Inception and Kick-Ass. I haven't seen Tron yet. I hear it has bad reviews but I think I know what to expect. But when I was a kid I came away from seeing the first Tron thinking how I would never want to be stuck in a video game cause it would a) be very long and boring and b) I could die at any moment.

True Grit's amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone.



Favorite Movies I Missed but Glad I Found

Two Hands 1999
The Importance of Being Earnest 2002
Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express 1974
Casanova 2005
Matinee 1993
High Noon 1952

To figure this one out I had to consult my Netflix queue. I watched so much stuff, but only rated 4 things five stars (this is why I don't own a TV). "Two Hands" stars Heath Ledger in an Australian crime film. The Poirot in the 1974 "Murder on the Orient Express" isn't as good as David Suchet, but it has an all-star cast (but the newer David Suchet version is way better).

Favorite Television Stuff
ESPN’s 30 for 30
Secrets of the Dead
Sherlock
Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple Series 5
Agatha Christie’s Poirot

I have a television but there's no antenna and we don't have cable, so most of my new TV watching comes from PBS online.

Favorite New Books
Moomin: A Tale of Two Families
Scott Pilgrim (Vol 1-6)
Charley Harper (an Illustrated Life)
Moomin: The Complete Tove Jannson Comic Strip (Vol. 5)
Almost Silent by Jason
Skim by Jillian Tamaki
Birchfield Close by Jon McNaught

I didn't buy very many new books this year cause we were busy collecting Edward Gorey books, but these are the ones I especially enjoyed.

I've been reading the Complete Peanuts. I was collecting them as they were coming out but I never got around to reading them until this year. Peanuts is the first thing I really discovered on my own an loved as a kid, and I read most of these strips from checking out the old books from the Benjamin Branch Library when I was a kid.

I also bought a bunch of Tove Jansson books. My favorite is one I picked up at Kinokuniya which is just a retrospective of her work. It had photos I never seen before and side-by-side comparisons of her line drawings and paintings of the same images.

Reading Scott Pilgrim's the best, especially ditching work and reading it in bed.


Favorite Trips

Providence, New Bedford, Salem, and Portland, MA.
San Jose day trip with Rob Williams
Los Angeles (both times)
Train ride to Portland, OR

Favorite Moments
Being on the Train with Marci to Portland.
Seeing Strength with Friends in San Francisco.
Celebrating Marci’s Birthday by going to Japantown and watching two movies.
NLCS game with Dennis and Derek.

Favorite Eats
Braeburn Apples
Strawberry Jam
The Rainbow Roll at Kirala on Shattuck.
California Sushi on MLK and University.
Suzu Noodle in Japantown.
J's Oyster Bar in Portland, ME.
Arinell's Pizza on Shattuck.
Las Flamas in Santa Clara.

No comments: