Monday, May 17, 2010

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center

Marci and I are in a drawing show at the Palo Alto Art Center. We were given themes to draw to, and we're suppose to match up our drawings to someone we don't know. Marci's theme was "Brain Storm". She did a pretty nice piece but her drawing was hard to photograph so I didn't upload the image. My theme was the "Bureau of Surrealist Research", which really isn't a theme at all.

Uh, I'm really bad with deadlines. So I started on it pretty late. Like 2 days before we were suppose to drop off the drawings.

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center

Our paper came in damaged from the Art Center, so we had to match it up with different paper at the store. I normally use Rives BFK, but I think I went with Arches to match up with the paper they gave us. It was easy to erase pencil marks, but it took a while for my inks to dry so I had to use a can air to blow off leftover eraser rubbings. I also had to use a block of wood so my palm wouldn't rub over the inks, usually another piece of paper does the trick, but it just smeared the drawing. The other artist's drawing I had to match up was on the lower left hand corner so I started my drawing from there. Usually I start a drawing from the top left hand corner in order to not deal with smearing problems, so I kind of wasn't used to this. I ended up smearing a good amount, probably about half a dozen times.

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center
I pretty much just googled Surrealism and drew down images. To me Surrealism = France. France = Baguettes. I like my drawing of the Eiffel Tower more than I should.

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center
There weren't any secret notes in the Surrealist movement that I know of. To tell you the truth, I'm not the best person to be drawing about Surrealism. One of my first art history class was Dada & Surrealism at SF State, and yeah. I kind of wasn't into it.

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center
Magritte's the dude who was into green apples and bowler hats. He painted a pretty sweet pipe.

Drawing for the Palo Alto Art Center
If you want a closer look you can go here.

The show runs between June 19-September 4th. The Opening Reception is June 18th.

2 comments:

Jeremy Forson said...

This drawing is awesome!

Deth said...

thanks dude.