Saturday, February 6, 2010

Food Journal Jan 12-Jan 23

Food Journal 18
Tuesday the 12th of January-Saturday the 23rd of January
Of Note:
1. Saul's- I ate here twice and pretty much got the same thing twice: The Special Sandwich Order #2, which is the Pastrami on Rye with a Green Salad on the side. I got the homemade Blood Orange soda and it was pretty amazing.
2. Mineola Tangelos- The Florida crop is up. They have seeds which is unlike the Australian version.
3. Root Beer Floats- I've never really been so into root beer floats as I am right now, but if you make them at home you have to do it right. Natural Brew, which makes the best root beer and any all-natural vanilla ice cream you could find and put those together and you have something special. Natural Brew also makes a pretty sweet Vanilla Cola, so uh, Vanilla cola with Vanilla Ice Cream sounds amazing.
4. Cheeseboard Pizza- Uh, we've been living in Berkeley for about 5 months or so and it took us a while to get here. I walk pass here all the time on the way to the Produce Market and to Safeway but never went in cause of the line, and the smell of cheese is kind of overwhelming. But yeah, It's kind of overrated. But I like Arinelle's, and I've met folks who hate that place.
5. Mangos- They're pretty cheap right now. I learned to cut a few of them at the same time cause they're so messy to eat one at a time. Yeah, it took me 30 years to figure that one out.
6. Alcoholic Cider- We went to a friend's opening at a warehouse in West Oakland and decided to get some alcoholic cider cause we've never had it before. Uh, I watched Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire on PBS a few weeks back and he talks about how the alcohol of choice in the US back in the day was Cider cause apples were just everywhere. Nowadays I think the drink of choice is vodka followed by tequilla, which I've had vodka once in the past 10 years, and I don't remember ever drinking tequilla.
7. Gosling’s Ginger Beer- I drank this the same night I drank the alcoholic cider. Uh, I never seen the can before but then when we went east the next week I saw it at a few places (it's made in Massachusetts).

No comments: