Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Three Weeks

RadDrums

I haven't gotten anything done in the past 3 weeks apparently. This is my second try at using acryla gouache. I didn't mean to have a black background; I slipped up and wiped a little paint off the foot while finishing up. I just went and did what I naturally did and painted everything black, but it's really weird working with a different type of paint. I called up my friend who uses it a lot to ask her how she uses the stuff and to see how long it'll take to make the black really black. Uh, I didn't really get an answer cause she told me she mixes to get her blacks and doesn't use it straight from the tube, but she told me I could use acrylic black if I wanted to cause the stuff's suppose to work that way. The problem with acrylic black is in tube and in the fluid form it doesn't really dry even sometimes, and the only way I know how to get rid of that is to just put gloss medium on top.

I don't know. I might be making it out to be more complicated than it actually is. It might just be complicated for me considering this is the second painting I've made in a month.

I spent this last week scanning stuff, and then realizing I already had my drawings scanned. I wanted to remake my Knife zine from 2007. It was 4.25"x5.5", but I figure if I just print the pages out for 5.5"x7.5" I could have them for ledger size paper. But yeah, uh, I made that zine two years ago, so I'd just look at my drawings and be like, "I should just redraw this", cause yeah, I draw better now than two years ago. But then I don't want to go back and redraw drawings I've already done, for a zine I already made, but at the same time I'm still curious of what it'd look like in a bigger format. Yeah, I don't know.

I’ve just been having this problem where I can't get anything done lately. But I don't know it might have to do with a lot of other things. We are moving in a few week to Berkeley and Marci's been sick twice since the start of June. She's getting back on her sugar-free diet, but she's probably getting real sick cause she works so much, and she works a lot during the evening.

Our neighbors dropped off lemons at our doorstep so I made lemonade with them. I got the recipe online. It doesn't take much work, even the boiling the sugar into the water part. Uh, the first time I did it, we only had brown sugar so it tasted kind of weird. I didn't like it but Marci drank it. I went out and bought a box of sugar for $1, and remade it with cane sugar with the second half of lemons we had. There really is no difference in taste between fresh squeezed lemonade and store bought "fresh squeezed" lemonade. Then Marci figured she should stop having sugar, so I thought I'd make her lemonade with Splenda cause she can have that. We ran out of lemons, and we don't have Splenda in the house so I went out and got some. Uh, making lemonade with Splenda is kind of expensive. I don't think there's such thing as Sugar-free lemonade, and if there were it'd probably be really gross. Marci says the Splenda lemonade I made for her is all right, but I haven't really tried it, and since she's been off and on that sugar-free diet for years I think her taste for sugar things have waned. But yeah, it's her lemonade.

It's weird. I'm trying to get more into cooking. I was telling a friend how I had to start approaching cooking like I do with art projects. Like I have to make something, and then I have to refine it a couple of times until I get it right. But the thing is, is that once you get it right, there's no real urge to redo it. I don't know. It seems weird to want to do something again if you already know you can do it. But maybe my problem with cooking is that I going at it like I would an art project, and I should probably stop doing that.

2 comments:

beau b said...

Thats RAD. I've been cooking a lot too. next trip to LA come over to the house and we can cook for our women.

Deth said...

Yeah, all i know how to really make is toast and corned beef and cabbage. But we'll be in LA in October for that GR show at the Japanese American National Museum.