Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Glow in the Dark Paint



Right now I'm putting down layers of glow-in-the-dark paint. I've been trying to fool around with it for a while, but it's kind of hard without it looking cheesy. My friends used to have a glow-in-the-dark footballs so we could play sports at night. If the football lost it's luminosity we'd take it in and put it next to a lamp for a few minutes. It helped whenever the ball would bounce underneath a car or something. What made them so luminous was that they weren't painted phosphorescent green, but were made with phosphorescent green acrylic. So I figure if you put down enough phosphorescent green acrylic paint on a panel it'll have the same effect.

The problem with glow in the dark paint is that it's so thin that there's not enough phosphorescent pigment to make the glow in the dark parts well illuminated, so you have to coat a bunch of it. Like there's certain brush marks where darker pigments from other paints can be seen through the glow in the dark paint. So I figure, if you put down a white ground, and then put the glow in the dark paint, and then a line drawing, there's no darker paint going through that would break up the luminosity of the painting. I think people usually don't want to use too much of it, cause, it's not something you really use. So they use it as highlights. But if you put something like that last, you have to put a lot of it before if could be luminant for it to matter. Another this that if you use it as highlights, when you turn off the light, and you see is highlight brush marks or random shapes, It just doesn't work as painting when it's in the dark.

Okay, so while I'm working on this stuff, there are a few things that come up with friends. Uh, "Why?" is the first one, and the answer is, "Just cause", and the second is "How would I show a painting like that?". Well, I wouldn't really want to point out something like that, cause the luminosity of phosphorescent green is about 10 minutes, so you can't just put a painting in the dark room. But yeah, there is that few minutes right after you turn off the lights and you notice that the painting is still illuminated.

I mean none of this stuff is really ground breaking, it's probably somewhere in a book, and just now I figured it out cause I decided to fumble around without reading anything. It says right on the bottle, "thicker application yields longer glow time". Uh, the other day I was telling a friend how I was figuring out ways to score more with Scabble: playing well with "S"s to score double words, knowing the "Q" words you don't need "U" with, etc. Then my friend said all that stuff was in the instruction guide under "helpful hints".

2 comments:

adambeck said...

Glow-in-the-dark paint shows up under black light as well. So if you did decide to exhibit the paintings while they are glowing, you could put them under blacklight instead of turning out the lights for ten minutes at a time.
I made a glow-in-the-dark/blacklight painting for a raver friend of mine in the late 90's, because he would always have his blacklight on, and I figured he'd be one of the few people who would enjoy the glowing on a regular basis.

Deth said...

Yeah, but I don't want to have a painting that needs some other device with it. I want to try and make something that looks good in both light and in the dark. But yeah. that sounds cool. Did you ever see David Huffman's black light paintings at Oliver Arts when he was in that show with Marci? His gallery wouldn't let him show his paintings under blacklight but they were pretty sweet.