Friday, March 13, 2009

San Francisco


Looked up "illustrated map of San Francisco" and found this image of the aftermath of the 1905 Earthquake.

Found this website on old Cemeteries of San Francisco. If you're not from the Bay Area then you probably don't know that they dug up all the graves in the City and the re-interred them in Colma. Colma is the referred to as the City of the dead, with 100,000 living to 1 million dead. When Jesus comes back to raise and reanimate his Army of the Dead he'd probably head off to Colma first. There's actually still dead people underneath a lot of places in San Francisco in unmarked graves, cause no one wanted to dig up the paupers' graves. There's a bunch underneath the Legion of Honor, some golf course in the Presidio, and Civic Center.

Thanks to Stacy we've gotten in this podcast of San Francisco history. Marci has to finish her show, and I need to do research for this show we're in. The show is about trace elements of the past. I actually don't know if what I'm researching is going towards the show I'm in. I don't know if my mind is capable of wrapping itself around a concept like that. I just broke it down to hidden history of the City, then I took it to hidden history of San Francisco. I'm making a large illustrated map of San Francisco detail certain things of San Francisco that most people don't know about. It's kind of funny cause there are some things that I though everyone knows about SF but they don't. Like Marci didn't know who Emperor Norton was, and I assumed everyone knew who that guy was.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'd never heard of him either, but I do love this line from the Wiki article:

"Though he was considered insane, or at least highly eccentric, the citizens of San Francisco celebrated his regal presence and his proclamations..."

I'd say I don't know much about SF 'cause I've been in Oakland all my life, but I really don't know much about Oakland either.