Saturday, March 28, 2009

Gouache



I bought gouache while dicking around at an art store with my studiomate. I've been trying to do some work on paper but then something would come up and yeah. When you have to do a show and there's a deadline, it's probably not the best time to try a new medium. But then something else would come up.

This particular brand of gouache is a mixture of acrylic and gouache. It's from Japan, so walking pass it was like noticing all the colors I use pre-mixed and in tube form. Marci uses Winsor&Newton and before every so often I'd buy those, but then Marci would run out of a Jet Black, and I'd be like, "I have Jet Black", cause then it saves her from going to the store, and then I'm back to, "I have some tubes of gouache but I can't start on something but I don't have black or white". Also W&N is from England, and all their colors are a bit "East Coast" for me. I'd have to mix it a lot, and there would be troubles in trying to keep things consistent.

But yeah. Marci and Zach use W&N, but our friend Evah uses this brand. Marci and Zach advise me against using Acryli-gouache, but yeah. I don't paint like Marci and Zach. I was also at The Monster Drawing Rally and noticed the painters that have the colors and paint texture I like were using that brand. Good thing I took photos.

Oh, yes. I'm sorry if this is a really boring post.

Uh, I picked up Cold Press watercolor paper cause Marci told me it was the most popular and easiest to use. Marci doesn't use cold press. She uses Hot Press when she uses watercolors, cause it's "hella smooth" and the paint pools on top of it instead of soaking in. But I'm using gouache and not watercolors. Or I'm going to. Once everything settles down. In the summer hopefully.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I use cold press, but I think it's the weight and brand of paper that matters as well. Also, some friends of mine prefer printmaking paper over watercolor as it soaks up the water differently.

Hot press is fun and good for super detailed stuff. I suppose I like the texture of cold press, and it helps that it's pretty readily available at most art stores.

Make sure you use decent brands, though. Crap brands have the ability to turn you off from watercolor paper altogether.