Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Punk Rock



So about a year ago I got in a fight with my friend Dave at a punk rock bar in Las Vegas. He was talking about how subversive punk rock still is and I was arguing that it probably used to be, but that now it's been totally co-opted into one big fashion show, and we both got really mad (probably 'cause we were kinda drunk and in Las Vegas) and just ended up yelling a lot and my sister had to break it up and we never really settled the matter. Then last week my friend and fellow Film Club member Zach took me to see the Penelope Spheeris documentary The Decline of Western Civilization at the Berkeley Pacific Film Archive. Man, oh man, it was so good. The highlight of the film was totally Darby Crash from The Germs making breakfast during his interview. And the lyrics to Manimal?! Awesome. Man he was so cool.
Okay, so I have to admit that before this documentary I totally didn't know who he was, and despite my drunken ranting on the topic, I really don't know very much about punk rock. So I didn't find out that Mr. Crash was dead until the next day at school when I was talking about him non-stop to James Bradley. It really sucks to find out that someone you just found out about is dead. Anyway, I called Dave and told him that I was sorry and that perhaps he was at least partially right about punk rock, and then we hung out at the Cassanova and I drank way too much Whiskey and he imparted a little bit of his vast punk rock knowledge. Did you know that Crass has a commune called the Dial House? Anyway, this is my official apology to punk, even though I'm still going to hiss at the gutter punks in Berkeley who ask me for change 'cause they're all from Walnut Creek anyway.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Now go see The Great Rock & Roll Swindle. With that and Decline under your belt you'll have a good idea of what punk is/was. For me it is dead and I can look back on it nostalgicly and laugh at the kids (who are young enough to be my children) playing dress up. I'm not sure how subversive punk is or if it is still really a movement. Or if it ever really was. For me it was more like an explosion that sent everyone flying in all different directions and then staggering around trying to make sense of the world around them.

Punk is dead! Long live punk!

TimC
aka Bill Igerent