Saturday, July 19, 2008

NASA

So I've started a small collection of star maps. It's a really small collection cause it's made up of just 3 items- a book of Star Maps with missing pages my friend Zach gave me, an Australian Soldiers Guide to Navigating Home (which is made up of four maps, and it's for the Southern Hemisphere so it's no use to me, but it's really nicely illustrated), and a offset print of the Northern Sky. I mean it's pretty easy to get a star map, but usually they're not really illustrated well, or they throw in a bunch of junk you don't really need. I don't know. I just don't like anything like that, that's made after 1980 or so. Another thing is that I don't really frame anything, and I don't really do anything with them. I actually don't know why I collect them in the first place.

The first star map I bought was in like the Sierra Club store on College, near the 6 way intersection of Claremont. I bought it cause I was going to get out of the city for the first time and I wanted to see if I could identify stars while I was out there. I grew up in LA, Santa Ana, and San Diego, so I never actually saw stars, cause of all the light pollution. I mean, LA and Orange County during the 80s and early 90s, were really smoggy.

So yeah. I mean, this is going somewhere, but not really anywhere far. Well, a few months ago, I netflixed Stranger than Fiction, and I liked it so much that uh, I bought the DVD. So I've watched and re-watched it a lot, cause I don't have TV, just DVDs, so I have to watch something while I'm painting. So in this film, there's a poster in one of the scenes of stars that I really liked, and I wondered how someone might get a poster like that. Uh, if you get asked to have a painting in a movie, they usually they take the painting, make a copy of it and blow it up and then put it in the film. So I just wondered if they bought the poster or if they just made it themselves.

So photos like that come form the Hubble Space Telescope, So I just went to NASA's website, but they have no gift shop. You'd think they would, but yeah. Then I just googled "NASA Giftshop" and found The Kennedy Space Center. But all the shit on it is like mission souvenirs, or stuff about the technology that gets them into space, and not space stuff itself. Although, uh, the Mugs Section is kind of interesting, and I am curious about the Ice Cream.



But yeah. that wasn't what I wanted. Fast Forward a few hours later, and yeah. I couldn't really find anything that was bigger than 6 ft by 4 ft. Then I realized I wouldn't really know what to do with a 8x10 ft poster of the Eagle Nebula.



I do think this poster of the Star Cluster of Orion is pretty sweet.

I have a bunch of star maps, but I never thought of buying a star poster until then. I think it's probably is cause it's kind of cheesy. But yeah I don't know.

No comments: