Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I made Corned Beef and Cabbage. I got kind of obsessed with it cause I saw Marci eat it on St. Patrick's Day at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe in Emeryville. I thought of getting it, but I got a breakfast burger instead (a breakfast burger is pretty much like an egg burger, but they throw on some bacon).

Corned Beef and Cabbage
This is a photo of what Marci got that day.

So I don't know what happened. But I guess I just kept on thinking about Corned Beef and Cabbage a lot. And then worried that I wouldn't be able to eat it until the next St. Patrick's Day. So I asked around about places that might serve it, but Irish food only comes out of Bars in San Francisco, and it's usually not really Irish food. It's like uh, Californized Bangers and Mash, or Fish and Chips. Stuff like that. So going to a bunch of Irish bars and restaurants I failed at finding Corned Beef and Cabbage. Although I didn't try Tommy's Joynt, which is like old man's Hofbrau on Vanness and Geary. It's pretty sweet, but I don't know. I just didn't feel like going there for this.

So yeah. after failing at finding it for that one day I figured I should just try to make it. And then I found out how easy it is the make Corned Beef and Cabbage. It's 3 hours of cooking, but you don't really have to do anything except to watch the pot boil or simmer. Just some cutting of vegetables and boiling the crap out of the meat. In the cook book Marci has, it's under "Boiled British Dinner". Everything involved costs about $18, and you can serve about 6 people. Which I think is about how much Marci paid for her dinner at Rudy's if you include the tip.

While waiting for it to finish I watched a little bit of Harry Potter, with a timer on hand to make sure I didn't burn anything.

Oh, On another a similar note, my friend Rob has a food blog that he's kept up for a long while. He's learning to put pictures on it. You should go read it if you're looking for a place to eat in San Francisco. Most of it revolves around Taquerias and Coffee.

I gave him a can of Chock Full of Nuts. He referred to it as "Chock Full of Insanity" cause I guess it gave a little too much pep. Chock Full of Nuts was my coffee of choice when i lived in LA for a year. They used to drink it a lot on that show, "News Radio". I used to get excited about it every time I saw in the background of a television show or movie. And they used to carry it at Trader Joe's up until mid-2005. I kind of freaked out about it when it got discontinued but I found it at the local Ralph's on Sepulveda and National. But they only came in little canisters, which was kind of annoying. I can't find it here, so I switched to Lavazza when I moved back to Oakland. Which is espresso coffee, and is really good an pretty intense, as well as kind of expensive.

LavAzza

And then I stopped drinking coffee altogether.

Yes, yes. You don't really need to know that. That's why I started a blog so I can say all this useless stuff somewhere and not annoy my girlfriend with this need to spew nothingness out of my mouth.

You know what I really hate? Is when you get used to a product, that it almost defines you. That's what I really hate. But even more I hate is when some ass-hole decides to discontinue that product. Like certain paints, you don't change the way you make that paint after everyone is used to the way you've made that paint for like forever.

Yeah. and the same thing with brushes. I've been using W&N Cirrus 660 One-Strokes 1/4 inch but they stopped carrying them, and now I think they're just discontinued them entirely. I bought a few years supply of them, but I'm worried what will happen when I run out of those. I guess I'll have to find another product, but I don't want to dick around the art store looking for a brush I would like. The One-Stroke was perfect. It did what it said, All in one stroke. Also It was pretty sweet, I could do lines with it with just the tip and not have to go find a round brush.

Another thing I don't like is how some art stores price things differently online than they do in stores. How are you suppose to budget out your upcoming expenses if the prices don't add up. Going through old receipts is sort of painful. Also I don't like how I can't get the medium I like in a bucket unless I went online. Or have it special ordered and talk to a stranger. I only get 28 oz at a time. Yeah. WTF?

Actually I'm not really upset about that sort of stuff. Using the Cirrus 660 line just makes me lazy, and I'm sure I'll find the right brush. Also getting 28 oz means I'm less likely to contaminate my medium by accident (you know by putting a brush with pigment in the bottle or getting cat hair in it, or if I don't paint for a while some of the medium chips of the lid and falls in the still usable medium, and then I get all these little rocks in my paint). Yeah. It's just it was nice knowing where to go when I walked into the store.

Okay. that's it.

No comments: